The Savoy Hotel is located on the Strand in the City of Westminster, London. Opening on 6th August 1889, it was built by Richard D'Oyly Carte and designed by architect Thomas Edward Collcutt.
To produce a decorative panel for the Beaufort Bar to the specification of a design by interior designer Pierre-Yves Rochon.
The design is a style reminiscent of Lalique and was deep carve etched using sandblasting to a depth of c. 8mm, into 15mm low iron glass. Hand etched detail was then added to the design using a 5mm drill head. The finished panel was laminated to a piece of 10mm toughened glass to make the panel safe, as sandblasting to this depth potentially compromises structural integrity. This was not low-iron glass as the required colour of the design was green, the natural colour of standard float glass.
The etching of this panel took months to complete given the intricacy of the design and panel size (c. 3m by 1m). The completed panel weighed approx 165 kg.