St Nicholas Church in Islip Oxfordshire dates back to 1200. A major rebuild took place in the 14th century with the tower being added in the 15th century featuring a mixture of Gothic and Early English styles.
Edward the Confessor was born here in 1004, so when he founded Westminster Abbey he included his birthplace among the endowments of the new Abbey. This fueled a long connection between Islip and Westminster Abbey which still retains the right to nominate rectors of Islip.
Daedalian Glass Studios were commissioned to create a bell tower glass screen for St Nicholas' Church in Islip.
Daedalian Glass Studios worked closely with renowned artist Nicholas Mynheer. The screen depicts Saint Nicholas and Edward the Confessor along with symbolic portrayals in their lives, and the Holy Trinity.
After consultations with the artist, designs were drawn up for approval prior to manufacturing. The design for St Nicholas' Church was sandblasted onto 12mm toughened float glass and was then transferred onto a stencil. The design was etched onto glass and then heat soak tested and polished around the edges.
"Based on themes of St Nicholas and Edward the Confessor, the design was sandblasted wonderfully by Davia Walmsley."
- Nick Mynheer