The original purpose of Empire House was to be the new UK headquarters of the (German) Continental Tyre and Rubber Company.
It was designed by Architect, Paul Hoffman and built between in phases between 1911 and 1918. Construction was halted during WW1 as the part-built site was requisitioned to house temporary huts for prisoners of war.
Continental withdrew from the building in 1925 and it was renamed Empire House. The ground floor became luxury shops and the upper floors offices. These offices were later converted into luxury apartments.
Daedalian Glass Studios collaborated with Interior Design and Architectural practice, HPM Developments on the kitchen refurbishment of a luxury apartment in Empire House.
The brief was to manufacture kitchen wall cladding and worktop splash backs that were mirrored to add a greater sense of space whilst being in-keeping with the super high-end design aesthetic.
Daedalian Glass Studios manufactured the kitchen wall cladding and worktop splash backs from 6mm bronze mirror, laminated to 6mm low-iron glass with a sheer fabric inter layer. The wall cladding required a cut-out to accommodate a TV unit, with internal rounded corners and polished edges.