What is the link between these musicians?
Bastille | Bombay Bicycle Club | Bon Iver |
Coldplay | Demi Lovato | Counting Crows
Faith No More | Immortal Technique
Iron Maiden |Kansas | Kanye West | Marillion
Queen | Rush | Steve Hackett
Tupac Shakur | Smashing Pumpkins | U2
The answer relates to our name, Daedalian Glass Studios.
formed with art; displaying artistic or inventive skills; intricate; varied
The origin of the word Daedalian dates back to Greek Mythology and the character Daedalus. Daedalus was a highly skilled craftsman and artist whom (In Book 18 of the Iliad by Homer) was said to have lived in Knossos, Crete.
Daedalus has been credited with a long list of accomplishments, here are a selected few:
- Designing an open-air dance floor for Ariadne, Daughter of King Minos.
- Designing the wooden cow used by King Minos’s wife, Persiphae to seduce a bull she was in love with.
- Being the architect of the Labyrinth on Crete that was used to house the half-man, half-bull offspring of Persiphae`s union with the bull.
- Making the thread that was given to the hero Theseus by Ariadne and used to kill the Minotaur. and escape the Labyrinth.
- Building the wings which he and his son, Icarus used to flee Crete once he (understandably) fell out of favour with King Minos.
By the Roman Period, his name had become a byword for supreme master craftsmanship. Thus, Daedalian is work of artistic merit, having providence from a supreme master craftsman (Daedalus).
It is this final accomplishment which is the answer to our question – The tale of the flight of Icarus. Daedalus warned Icarus not to fly too low or the sea would wet his wings and make them too heavy. He also warned not to fly too high or the sun would melt the wax he used to bond the feathers together.
However, during the flight Icarus over-reached himself and flew too high. As a result the sun melted his wings and he fell to his death.
All these musical artists have released songs that reference the flight of Icarus.